Athens is an unincorporated hamlet in Henry Township, Fulton County, Indiana, originally called Hoover Station. The town’s name is pronounced with a long a and stress on the first syllable. A post office established as Grant, on December 20, 1875, was moved to Hoover Station in 1883; Hoover Station was a waystation for the Chicago & Alton Railway, where Jacob Hoover was the postmaster and kept a general store with his brother. Jacob was the son of Henry and Sarah (Curtis)Hoover, the first white settlers of this area. The name was changed to Athens, May 28, 1896, for Athens, Greece.
While the town is slowly being incorporated into Rochester, a tiny post-office exists there for the few remaining residents that still have an Athens address.
Be the first to comment